Friday, November 11, 2005

Happy Veterans Day!

Yesterday the United States Marine Corps celebrated 230 years of service. Apparently the USMC celebrates this special birthday occasion in a big way each and every year. (I'm talking dress uniforms and shmancy gala events.) Me, although I recall hearing about it each November here or there, I've never found myself in the position for physical celebration. Yesterday that changed... sort of.

I was lucky enough to spend the evening with my friend Rich, who happens to be an officer in the USMC. Last night was the first time I had seen him in over a year. He recently returned from his third, yes THIRD, trip to the Middle East.

We had a quiet dinner in San Clemente, catching up over gnocchi and pizza (something not readily available in Iraq). Did we celebrate the big Marine Corps birthday? Not really. But we did celebrate something just as special: his safe return home.

He spoke little about his time over there, choosing instead to ask about how I was doing and what was new in my life. And in the few references he did make, there wasn't a single complaint about the challenges he faced in "the desert". His sentiments were simple and solid: He served proudly in an effort that is just and worthy.

Today, Veterans Day, regardless of your political views, I think it's only right for every American to take a moment and recognize the sacrifice that the men and women of the United States Armed Forces make each and every day in service of their country, our country.

God Bless our Troops!
-
God Bless America!
-
-
Welcome home Rich!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home